1) Ticket and point dismissal
2) Reduction of court fees
In addition, many insurance companies will give an insurance premium reduction for taking a defensive driving course. Be sure to check with your insurance company and ask them:
- What amount you will receive off of your premium
- How long will you receive the discount
- Whether or not you can take the course again prior to the discount expiring so that the discount will be extended for another discount term
- When the discount will go into effect once you submit your certificate of completion to them
ApprovedProviders. Online courses are listed as “Correspondence Schools”
We are listed under Defensive Driving by Improv
- You have not taken a driving safety course to dismiss a ticket or reduce points on your driving record within the past 18 months*
- You have a valid, non-commercial license
- The violation was not a criminal offense
- Your license is not currently suspended or revoked
It is always best to contact your court by phone or in person prior to the date indicated on your ticket, and inquire as to whether you are eligible for ticket dismissal by completing an approved defensive driving course.
* The Court has the authority to override general rules with regard to the frequency in which you will be granted permission to take a driving safety course for ticket/point dismissal.
The New Mexico Traffic Safety course meets the 6-hour state requirement, but including time for breaks, the course takes a total of approximately 5 hours to complete.
The chapter timers represent the minimum amount of time required per chapter, and are configured as follows:
Chapter 1: 15 Minutes
Chapter 2: 30 Minutes
Chapter 3: 75 Minutes
Chapter 4: 45 Minutes
Chapter 5: 60 Minutes
Chapter 6: 60 Minutes
Chapter 7: 10 Minutes
Chapter 8: 5 Minutes
300 Minutes Total
We recommend that you make a photocopy or scan and save the certificate to your computerprior to submitting the original certificate to the court:
- For your records – Please retain a copy for your records.
- Insurance Discount – If a discount is available on your auto insurance premium for taking a defensive driving course, please submit a copy to your insurance company.